Historic Preservation Commission Mahwah Heritage Awards
Since 1994, The Mahwah Historic Preservation Commission has recognized property owners in the Township for creative acts of preservation or restoration of architecturally or historically significant structures of Mahwah sites or artifacts. The purpose of the awards ceremony is to encourage and reward those who have taken an active interest in preserving or restoring properties to their significant earlier state. The seven award categories are:
- Preservation or Restoration Project: For the successful rehabilitation/restoration of one of Mahwah’s Historic Sites.
- New Construction in a distinguished style.
- Contributions of an individual in preserving Mahwah History. Specific contributions such as artifacts, archives, and photographs that increase our knowledge about historic preservation in Mahwah.
- Adaptive reuse of a historic site: For the successful rehabilitation of a building for a changed use while maintaining the original architectural integrity.
- Youth Preservation Project: For individual or group projects that contribute to preservation of Mahwah historic sites.
- Preservation of a Structure/Object Site: For the successful preservation of a structure, object or site, such as a bridge, dam, monument, cemetery, historic landscape.
- Continuing Preservation or Use: for any actively preserved building still used for its original or similar function.
Past recipients include The Mahwah Hotel, and Mount Zion AME Church for Continuing Preservation or Use; Isabel Smith Hudson, for Contributions of an individual in preserving Mahwah History. Isabel donated her remarkable collection of Mahwah memorabilia which included documents of early Cragmere Park, postcards of Mahwah, and early Township newspaper clippings. Last year’s award was presented to Mr. & Mrs. Garlasco for Preservation or Restoration Project of the Kohler Mansion.
The Historic Preservation Commission welcomes nominations from the public. The Commission reviews all nominations, inspects nominated properties/projects and selects the award winners. The awards are presented every November during a Council Public Action meeting.
Nominations can be mailed or emailed (firstname.lastname@example.org ) to:
Mahwah Historic Preservation Commission
Township Municipal Building
475 Corporate Drive
Mahwah, NJ 07430