Senior Activity Center
Located in the lower level of the
Mahwah Municipal Building
475 Corporate Drive
firstname.lastname@example.org Susanne Small, Coordinator, ext. 213
email@example.com Rosalie Giudice, Assistant, ext. 277
Please see the "News and Anouncements" section to view the monthly Senior Center Activities Calendar and other information regarding upcoming events / trips.
The philosophy of the senior movement is based on the premise that aging is a normal process and that human beings need peers with whom they can interact, who are available as a source of encouragement and support. Senior adults have the right to have a voice in determining matters in which they have a vital interest. Multipurpose Senior Centers were established to provide nutritional, health and human services to seniors in their communities. The programs, projects, and activities are designed to help meet individual, family and community needs as well as contribute to the welfare of Senior Center clients. The Mahwah Senior Activity Center is the focal point of services for seniors in this town. The Center provides services for individuals age 62 and over and their caregivers. The Center's programs allow more clients to age in place and prevent early entry into assisted living or nursing home placement. Additionally, the emphasis on physical activity and education helps minimize the cost of medical care or hospitalization.
The Senior Activity Center seeks to foster independence and continued growth in older adults with heavy emphasis on physical fitness. Classroom instruction is designed to enhance and expand our seniors' leisure time pursuits by introducing them to different hobbies and activities. We offer educational programs and guest speakers to enhance our seniors' knowledge of current programs and legislation that affects them. From computers to current events, older adults are constantly challenged and stimulated by the wide array of classes and programs we offer:
Senior Activity Center
Frequently Asked Questions
Calendar of Events
We offer a varitey of programs, exercise classes and monthy activities. Please see our list below:
||FIT 4 LIFE AEROBICS
|BEGINNERS ART CLASSES
|BLOOD PRESSURE CLINIC
||LECTURES & PRESENTATIONS
||TAI CHI CHIH
||WATER COLAR ART CLASSES
• All group fitness classes on the schedule are open to all members.
• There are classes at a variety of intensity levels. Try different types of classes as well as different instructors to see which ones meet your needs. The instructor always teaches to all ability levels. While taking a class you should always workout at your own intensity level. If you are unsure about an exercise, ask the instructor to show you a modification of that exercise.
• Other classes do not require early arrival, it is imperative that you arrive on time. Never enter a class that has been in progress for 5 minutes or more. Warm up and instructions are essential. Arriving late is disruptive to members and can be dangerous.
• For classes in the studios, you should bring a water bottle and wear comfortable workout clothes including sneakers.
• A schedule and description of all classes is available at the front desk. Please check the schedules posted around the center, at the front desk, or on-line monthly to ensure you have the most up to date version. Any changes or information concerning group fitness will be prominently displayed on the group fitness bulletin board.
• Cell phones are not permitted in any class. If you must answer your cell phone (in case of emergency), please walk to the closest corridor to proceed with your conversation.